Monday, September 20, 2010

Avatar

Greetings Intrepid Exporers!

Avatar. You've heard about it. You've thought about. Heck, maybe you've already seen it. That's okay, cause whatever you've thought about it, you're still curious to know what I think about it. That's why you're here. That's why I'm here. That's why this tall perspiring glass of (favorite beverage here) is here. To get us through this.

Avatar. James Cameron did a bang-up job on this. The imagination and creative juice that went into this could be measured by the gallons. If it were a liquid measurement. If it were not a liquid measurement, I wouldn't have said 'creative juice'. Juice is a liquid, dumb person, and that's why it's okay for me to assume a measurement of liquid. It wouldn't make any freakin sense if I said 'the creative juice could be measured by the mile.' Why? Because you can't mix your units of measurements in your comparisons. A measurement of distance doesn't jive with a liquid medium. How many more times can I say liquid in this blog?

As I was watching Avatar I had this sense most of the way through it that I was watching the magnum opus of a talented artist. I'm not kidding. The movie is beautiful. I don't mind some of the subtler alegories or even how the story is told so that humans are evil and the indiginous peoples are holy and right. Because it fits the story. There are some amazing techniques, and some astounding ideas employed in the making and enjoying of this movie. It is absolutely worth seeing. IF you don't mind heavy handed political brainwashing delivered not so subtly by a big angry white dude who clearly represents the devil, i.e. western culture. There are a couple of one liners delivered through the course of this motion picture that literally left me stunned. Not just because of how blatantly political they were, but because they were so blatant in a story where they didn't make any sense.

I commented on just this sort of thing in my introduction post, the first one I did. If you didn't read it, shame on you for not reading these in a cronological order.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is, worth seeing for the visuals. Not worth seeing if you can't stomach over-stated political rhetoric in a fictional epic. That kind of rhymed. If a system of government ever relied on it's artists to lead, you know what would happen? Nothing. Because artists create art, they make things that are interesting to see, hear or even take part in. They can even change cultures for the better, (or worse). Thank you every disco artist ever, for proving my point. They dialogue in this movie is kind of like a disco song that's taking itself too seriously. All shiny and bright and well imagined, but when performed, even well, it sounds pretty tacky. The Beegees would not make good governers. Neither would actors.

Liquid.

1 comment: